An Adventurous and thrilling Voyage to the North Pole : Part – 2


The bus arrived at the seaport. It is the only port for Russian nuclear ships. The port is directly controlled by the Russian government. Photography is strictly prohibited. (Even if we take a photo with the phone from the bus, they will take the camera with us, and we were warned by the tour leader earlier that the trip would be interrupted. So i never tried to do anything like that.) The only nuclear port in the world with access to civilians. And they only allowed it for this one trip. I got a notice to get off the bus. The bus stopped in front of the metal detector. Getting off the bus in front of the metal detector is the checking of 2 officers, taking the passport and checking the face of the two. Something else will be compared with their documents. After that handbag screening like at the airport. Then scanning the hand in another place. After all this, they will take us straight to the door of the ship. They did not even agree to look elsewhere. We boarded the ship. I understood as soon as I saw it from the outside. A very huge ship. The ship’s crew led us to our cabin. Our luggage had been delivered to the cabin. There are still 2 hours left for the ship to leave. So I took the ship’s map and went straight to the upper deck of the ship.

5 floors were full of cabins only , Again 2 more floors in the upstairs. (I asked a crew member who was there for permission to take a photo. He told me to take it when the voyage started.) The Russian nuclear aircraft carrier was lying next to our ship. On top of that you could see some parade of soldiers and so on. At 6 o’clock two TUG BOAT approached our ship. (These are boats that tow a ship from port to sea). They were tied to one side of the ship and began to tow the ship. I started photography. In 15 minutes they moved the ship from the port side to the center. The ship blew its horn and began its voyage. One side of the port was lined with nuclear icebreaker ships. Running and expired. The view was the other way around. There was a long line of Russian warships. There will be no less than 40 of them. A nuclear submarine was also spotted lying at sea.

Our current position (‘Murmansk Atomflot’) was 68.97 degrees north, and from there we had to travel about 2300 km to reach 90 degrees north, about 21 degrees north (90 – 68.97 = 21.03). One degree is 60 nautical miles. Total distance traveled = 21 x 60 = 1260 nautical miles, one nautical mile = 1.852 km, and total travel distance = 1260 x 1.852 = 2333 km. Usually this Ship can reach a speed of 20 nautical miles per hour.But The ship can only reach a maximum speed of 7-8 nautical miles per hour when the thickness of the ice sheet increases, so it is not possible to say exactly when it will arrive at the North Pole, but it will take about 3 to 5 days. We got an instruction to come to the welcome party conducted by the captain of the ship after the must attended emergency drill for all the passengers. Our tour operator Leader introduced us to the Captain. He introduced the ship’s chief engineer (the chief engineer is responsible for the ship’s nuclear reactor and engine operation) and other officers. The ceremony ended with a champagne party. Within an hour the ship entered the open sea. Because of the large size of the ship and the relatively calm sea, the ship experienced only minor tremors. This ship is not for adventure. This is the working ship of the Russian government. Our facilities have been prepared by making changes to the cabins of the ship’s officers. (During these two months the ship’s officers stay in their cabins with the downstairs crew). Although it was a working ship, it was a ship with all facilities, including GYM, SWIMMING POOL, BAR, LIBRARY and SALOON.

And the route the ship passes through each day and what can be seen along the way; Notes on each day and other events will be in the door pocket of our cabin every evening. There will be at least three informative classes each day. The next day at noon the ship began to enter the ice field. Unlike normal ice class ships, the ship sailed forward without slowing down. I had to look at the clock to tell the difference between day and night. The same amount of sunlight became available 24 hours a day. There was no sign of darkness except that the view was sometimes blurred by smog caused by the snow (On the return journey, it was only on the plane that I could see the darkness after 12 days.) Outside weather dropped to minus level. Unable to stand outside much due to unbearable wind and cold. The Arctic is home to a wide variety of birds. We got to see rare birds throughout the trip. They circled the back of the ship to catch fish.

The next morning at 4 o’clock I woke up to the announcement of the tour leader. It was reported that two polar bears had appeared in front of the ship. When he heard that, he took his winter jacket and ran to the front deck of the ship with the camera. By the time we got there, almost all the people in the cup had arrived. Below the ship, in the middle of the ice, two polar bears were watching us and snarling slightly. The small icebergs could not bear their weight so they jumped from one to the other and swam around us around the water. They were looking for food.

Polar bears are the largest carnivorous creatures in the world. The full-grown polar bear weighs about 650 kg. Despite their weight, they can swim up to 10 kilometers per hour. Living in the harshest climate in the world, they pose no significant threat. The only threat to these is man-made global warming. As a result, snowfall decreases year by year and threatens their habitat. During the summer, the surrounding snow melts and people have to swim to cooler areas for sustenance and food. Living in such a harsh climate, God has endowed them with immense abilities. They can detect odors of animals even up to 30 miles [30 km] away. They can also detect odors of the “seal” beneath the ice. If they notice a seal under the ice, they will move away. Their method is to attack and subdue the seal whenever it comes to the top of the ice. Sometimes they stay the same for more than a day. Their main food is ‘sea seal’. Due to the lack of availability and the difficulty of pursuing and attacking (If these ‘seals’ saw them,they will immediately swim to the bottom of the sea) finding food is a laborious task. They swim 50 to 100 km daily to find food. (Their swimming record is named after the polar bear, which swam 680 km in a row). They have a very thick bark to withstand the cold. They can maintain a body temperature of 37 degrees even at -45 degrees Celsius. After wandering around the ship for a while, looking at us in protest at not getting anything and screaming a little, they continued their journey looking for food. We are on our way.

Later that afternoon we were notified again, this time with our mother and 2 bear cubs under the age of one. They are naughty and beat each other up, but as soon as the mother looks at them, they are very good children who run to their mother. It is a sight to behold. After standing next to them for about ten minutes we continued our journey again.